Sunday, 29 November -0001 19:00

Calvin Seminary Celebrates 125 Years

Written by Rev. H.A. Bergsma
In 1876 pastoral training for the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) in North America was transferred from a leading pastor's house to a few rooms in a Christian school. The CRC synod appointed a pastor to teach 23 courses to the few students. From that start developed Calvin Theological Seminary. During 2001 Calvin celebrates its 125 anniversary. Among the celebration events are a series of lectures. The first lecture was given by church history professor, Henry Zwaanstra, who outlined the close ties and mutual impact between church and school. Only in 1965 did the synod give up its privilege of overseeing admission of students. Since that date, the seminary has attracted students from other denominations and from foreign countries. The last 25 years have seen a steady growth in foreign students at Calvin. That growth was also stimulated by the addition of a Ph.D. program about a decade ago. The CRCNA continues to support the presence of foreign students. Today about 55 students (of about 270) are from foreign countries. (From Presbyterians Dir.)

In view of the fact that several of our ministers have also studied at ÒCalvin,Ó we wish to express our congratulations to the board and faculty of Calvin Seminary.

Read 891 times

We have 240 guests and no members online

© Free Reformed Churches of North America